Friday, September 5, 2008
Adventures in Canning
Okay, so, seriously - how on EARTH did women can ANYthing while their children were little and running around underfoot??!!??? I can barely find time in my day to go to the bathroom, let alone synchronize boiling pots of water for sterilizing, making syrup, keeping things hot, and finally canning. I was able to crank out 7 quarts of peaches over two nights at the expense of my homework. Needless to say, while I still enjoy canning, I am just not coordinated enough to attempt this type of adventure while my children are awake, and will probably hold off on more adventure until I know whether or not my first attempt was a success, and also until I have no more homework due. I'm looking at late next summer. That should give me enough time to get the WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!??!! track to play itself out so I can go at the next batch with gusto. I might wait until after pears though... I still have jars left.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Totally know what you mean. My VERY first ever experience with canning was this week. I started the rest of my pears after Lillian was taking a nap, but it took me so long to figure out what I was doing that she had woken up, and the kids were coming home from school! It was crazy! Then I FINALLY got to the actually canning stage, and I had the wrong size lids . . . so we all piled into the car to go get the right lids - - luckily when I came back the jars were still really hot. I hope they turned out.
Ah yes, canning... I have to do it all when the kids are in bed and then crank them out. If I get everything set up so it's ready (while they're still awake) then I'm ready to go once in bed. And it helps if you can pull your husband in as a helper- cutting, peeling. I must say that I love the pears the most even though they're the hardest. But the fastest next best tasting I think are the nectarines. Just quarter them and throw them in! No skinning! They go really fast. Good luck!
Post a Comment